With the reliability, durability and solid 4-wheel drive capabilites of the Toyota Tacoma, it’s obviously a popular choice amongst camping enthusiasts. Though it’s is a mid-size truck, there are an increasing number of manufacturers producing a Toyota Tacoma camper.
Tacoma Habitat Shell Camper by AT Overland
The Tacoma Habitat Shell (pictured above) would be a handsome, yet functional piece of camping gear for your cherished Toyota Tacoma. Manufactured by AT Overland, the Tacoma Habitat was designed to fill the bridge between a traditional truck topper (camper shell) and a slide-in, cab-over truck bed camper. Habitat’s fold out top allows you to stand up fully in the bed of the truck, while being sheltered by the all season tent.
The Tacoma Habitat’s sleeping area includes a 2 inch thick, dense foam mattress. All aluminum composite construction. When closed, the roof can support up to 350 lbs and roof racks are an option. Here’s some of the specs for the Tacoma Habitat:
- Base weight: 340 lbs
- Sleeping bed capacity: 600 lbs.
- Camper construction: All aluminum composite
Here’s a full video tour of the Tacoma Habitat Camper we shot at Overland Expo East:
The Bobcat by All Terrain Campers
The Bobcat small truck camper fits 6′ beds including the Toyota Tacoma. The Bobcat is made by All Terrain Campers, with over 30 years’ experience inthe industry. It’s approximately 900 lbs. and includes multiple floorplans. Loads of standard features and options are available.
- Base weight approx: 900 lbs. (depends on camper options chosen)
- Aluminum Frame
- 4″ thick mattress
- No particle or press board used in campers
Fleet by Four Wheel Pop-Up Campers
Made for small trucks with 6′ beds as well, the Fleet Model is made by Four Wheel Pop-Up Campers. Many standard features and options are available.
- Weight: Approx 975 lbs. (Can vary depending on camper options chosen)
- Interior headroom up to 6 feet, 4 inches when popped up.
- Sleeps up to 3 adults. Queen size cabover bed and couch/bed conversion.
- Freshwater capacity 20 gallons, 2 burner stove
- Aluminum Roof/Wall framing and exterior.
- LED lighting, pre-wired for solar
Go Fast Campers (GFC)
We spotted this sweet Tacoma/Go Fast Camper setup at a nearby Whole Foods market, stocking up on food for their next trip. Specifically called the GFC Platform Camper, the top platform pops up to reveal a seam-welded tent/bunk with zip open windows. When collapsed, the minimal cabover portion of the camper is only 6″ thick.
The Tacoma camper’s structure is supported by a tubular steel frame, and the side/back panels of the shell open to create a cabana. According to GFC, “The Aluminum tent frame has multiple t-slots that allow you to bolt on roof racks, turning your weekend camper into a work-week utilty rack capable of carrying up to 500 lbs.“
The GFC Platform Camper is the lightest on our list:
- Weight: Approx. 300 lbs.
EarthCruiser GZL 300
NOTE: It appears the GZL 300 is no longer available new from the manufacturer, so checking the used market like RV Trader might be an option.
The GZL 300 camper used to be offered for the Toyota Tacoma by Earthcruiser It’s constructed of ultra-lightweight composite materials and molded into a one-piece design that is well insulated.
The days of bulky, roof-mounted solar panels are starting to become history. And this is no exception on the GZL 300, which is capped with 2 100 Watt Zamp flexible panels that weigh less than 5 lbs each. Flexibility means they essentially flush-mount to the curved roof, eliminating wind drag.
- Weight: 1,000 – 1,200 lbs depending on options
- Includes a 600 Watt inverter and a 90 Amp battery
- Amenities include 1.5 cu. ft fridge/freezer, 22 gallon freshwater tank, 9 gallon grey water tank, 2.6 gallon water heater, 2 burner propane stove and a 3 gallon propane tank.
Tacoma Camper Payload Suspension Upgrades
It may be a good idea to upgrade the suspension on your Toyota Tacoma to accomodate a camper and associated weight load. Some of the options available include helper springs, suspension stabilizers, or airbags. Here’s links to some suspension upgrades specific to Toyota Tacomas:
Toyota Tacoma Helper Springs – Medium Duty rated up to 2,000 lbs.
- Hellwig EZ-990 #981 – 2005-2013 Toyota Tacoma 4wd and Pre-Runner (except TRD).
- Hellwig EZ-990 #979 – 2005-2013 Toyota Tacoma 4wd and Pre-Runner with TRD package.
- Hellwig EZ-990 #980 – 2014-2020 Toyota Tacoma 4wd and Pre-Runner.
Toyota Tacoma Air Helper Springs
Maximize your Tacoma’s safe load carrying capacity, stability for a camper and improve overall ride quality. These air helper springs are campabile of 3,200-5,000 lbs. of load-leveling capacity. Firestone 2407 Ride-Rite Kit for 2005-2016 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
Tacoma Suspension Stabilizers
Helps improve handling characteristics of your Tacoma when loaded with a camper. Keeps your springs actively under load. Significantly reduces side to side sway and body roll. Torklift A7311 StableLoad Suspension Stabilizer