With the reliability, durability and solid 4-wheel drive capabilites of the Toyota Tacoma, it’s obviously a popular choice amongst camping enthusiasts. Though it’s is a small truck, there are a handful of manufacturers producing a Toyota Tacoma camper.
Tacoma Habitat Shell Camper by AT Overland Equipment
The Tacoma Habitat Shell (pictured above) would be a handsome, yet functional piece of camping gear for your cherished Toyota Tacoma. Manufactured by AT Overland Equipment, the Tacoma Habitat was designed to fill the bridge between a traditional truck topper (camper shell) and a slide-in, cab-over truck bed camper. Habitat’s fold out top allows you to stand up fully in the bed of the truck, while being sheltered by the all season tent.
The Tacoma Habitat’s sleeping area includes a 2 inch thick, dense foam mattress. All aluminum composite construction. When closed, the roof can support up to 350 lbs and roof racks are an option. Here’s some of the specs for the Tacoma Habitat:
- Base weight: 340 lbs
- Sleeping bed capacity: 600 lbs.
- Camper construction: All aluminum composite
The Bobcat by All Terrain Campers
The Bobcat small truck camper fits 6′ beds including the Toyota Tacoma. The Bobcat is made by All Terrain Campers, with over 30 years’ experience inthe industry. It’s approximately 800 lbs. and includes multiple floorplans. Loads of standard features and options are available.
- Base weight approx: 800 lbs.
- Aluminum Frame
- 4″ thick mattress
- No particle or press board used in campers
Fleet by 4 Wheel Pop-Up Campers
Made for small trucks with 6′ beds as well, the Fleet Model is made by Four Wheel Pop-Up Campers. Many standard features and options are available.
- Weight: 975 lbs.
- Interior headroom up to 6 feet, 4 inches when popped up.
- Sleeps up to 3 adults. Queen size cabover bed and couch/bed conversion.
- Freshwater capacity 20 gallons, 2 burner stove
- Aluminum Roof/Wall framing and exterior.
- LED lighting, pre-wired for solar
EarthCruiser GZL 300
One of the newest camper options for the Toyota Tacoma on the market is Earthcruiser’s GZL 300. It’s constructed of ultra-lightweight composite materials and molded into a one-piece design that is well insulated.
The days of bulky, roof-mounted solar panels are starting to become history. And this is no exception on the GZL 300, which is capped with 2 100 Watt Zamp flexible panels that weigh less than 5 lbs each. Flexibility means they essentially flush-mount to the curved roof, eliminating wind drag.
- Weight: 1,000 – 1,200 lbs depending on options
- Includes a 600 Watt inverter and a 90 Amp battery
- Amenities include 1.5 cu. ft fridge/freezer, 22 gallon freshwater tank, 9 gallon grey water tank, 2.6 gallon water heater, 2 burner propane stove and a 3 gallon propane tank.
Toyota Tacoma Camper Suspension Upgrades
It may be a good idea to upgrade the suspension on your Toyota Tacoma to accomodate a camper and associated weight load. Some of the options available include helper springs, suspension stabilizers, or airbags. Here’s links to some suspension upgrades specific to Toyota Tacomas:
Toyota Tacoma Helper Springs – Medium Duty rated up to 2,000 lbs.
- Hellwig EZ-990 #981 – 2005-2013 Toyota Tacoma 4wd and Pre-Runner (except TRD).
- Hellwig EZ-990 #979 – 2005-2013 Toyota Tacoma 4wd and Pre-Runner with TRD package.
- Hellwig EZ-990 #980 – 2014-2016 Toyota Tacoma 4wd and Pre-Runner.
Toyota Tacoma Air Helper Springs
Maximize your Tacoma’s safe load carrying capacity, stability for a camper and improve overall ride quality. These air helper springs are campabile of 3,200-5,000 lbs. of load-leveling capacity. Firestone 2407 Ride-Rite Kit for 2005-2016 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
Tacoma Suspension Stabilizers
Helps improve handling characteristics of your Tacoma when loaded with a camper. Keeps your springs actively under load. Significantly reduces side to side sway and body roll. Torklift A7311 StableLoad Suspension Stabilizer