For those who own a small truck, and a passion for camping, there are a few options out there for your favorite small truck when it comes to campers. Below, we list 3 Ford Ranger camper options, and suspension upgrades to better accomodate the extra weight, and improve safety.
Ford Ranger Camper Limitations
With the Ford Ranger being a smaller truck, you have to be careful about exceeding safe weight limits and cross winds. Do your due diligence researching weight limits and options for potentially beefing up your suspension to accommodate additional weight. We’ve listed some Ranger suspension upgrades at the bottom of this article.
But despite these limitations, here are a couple potential Ford Ranger camper options that we came across, that are both lightweight and low profile in design when in transit.
Four Wheel Pop-Up Campers: Fleet Model
Pictured above, the Fleet Model by Four Wheel Pop-Up Campers is a nice option for Ford Rangers. A large list of standard features and options are available on the manufacturer website. Some of the major features include:
- Base Weight 845lbs.
- Interior headroom is 6 feet, 4 inches when popped up.
- Can sleep up to 3 adults with a queen size cabover bed and a couch/bed conversion.
- Freshwater capacity 20 gallons
- Aluminum Roof/Wall framing and exterior. (fiberglass siding also available)
- LED lighting, pre-wired for solar
The Flip-Pac by FRP
Based in Riverside, CA, Fiberglass Reinforced Product’s (FRP) Flip-Pac Camper is a unique and innovate camper option for Ford Rangers. Essentially, it’s a large camper shell, with a fold out top (no pop-up), give you a large sleeping area with a queen size mattress, and lots of storage or internal living space below in the bed of your truck.
NOTE: Flip-Pac now appears to be out of business, so we suggest checking the used market to find one if still interested.
- Base weight: 250 – 325 lbs. depending on short bed vs. long bed
- Interior headroom: 6’6” to 7’6”
- Sleeping bed weight capacity: 1,000lbs.
Northern Lite’s 6’10” Lite Series Truck Camper
No longer in production, but available on the used market, the 6’10” Lite Series Truck Camper was designed for small trucks, including the Ford Ranger. The cab-over camper is made from two-piece molded fiberglass and have a range of standard and optional features, a few of which include:
- Base Weight: 1050 lbs.
- 18,000 BTU auto light furnace
- Interior LED lighting
- 95 Watt Solar Panel
- 14.5 Gallon freshwater tank
Ford Ranger Suspension Upgrades
It is recommended by camper manufacturers to upgrade your Ford Ranger suspension for accommodating a camper. Options may include helper springs, overload springs or airbags. Here’s some options you may want to consider:
EZ-990 springs provide 2,000 lbs. of level load capacity, mounts under factory axle u-bolt plates and has a lifetime warranty. Model #983 is for 1990-2011 Ford Ranger Applications.
SuperSprings Overload Springs
- #SSA5 1983-2009 Ford Ranger. 950 lb. load level capacity
- #SSA8 1983-2009 Ford Ranger. 1500 lb. load level capacity
- #SSA30 2010-2012 Ford Ranger. 950 lb. load level capacity
- #SSA31 2010-2012 Ford Ranger. 1500 lb. load level capacity
Maximize your Ford Ranger’s safe load carrying capacity, stability for a camper, and improve overall ride quality.
Helps improve handling characteristics of your Ranger when loaded with a camper. Keeps your springs actively under load. Significantly reduces side to side sway and body roll.
If you know of other campers that work well with Ford Rangers, feel free to shoot us a comment below.